Lizzy is still in the hospital in Louisville. Her ANC (blood count) went back down to zero today, plus her platelets dropped below the acceptable level, so she is getting a platelet transfusion today. And we will continue to wait and pray and ask God for her counts to go up so she can come home. As Lori has reminded me, the low blood counts are to be expected and indicate the chemo regimen is doing its job.
This week was an “off” week meaning no treatments were scheduled this week. So, thankfully nothing has had to be postponed or rescheduled from a treatment standpoint.
Thank you for your continued prayers. By the way, if you were to see Lizzy right now, you would have no idea anything is going on. She is just as energetic and crazy as always. In fact, she helped the hospital staff decorate the unit Christmas tree today. Lori said she was telling the staff where all the decorations needed to be placed on the tree!!
Well, it happened again. A test of Lizzy’s blood counts led to a transfusion that then turned into a hospital admission. This time she has been admitted to Norton Children’s in Louisville, so this makes 3 different children’s hospitals in 3 different states over the past year – I think maybe Lori and I might start a Travelers Review company that rates all of the different children’s hospitals across the country! (for those of you not familiar with my goofy sense of humor, that was meant to be a joke! – the part about the review company, not Lizzy’s admission – that part wasn’t funny).
Lizzy’s blood counts were high enough yesterday to allow for an admission today. After arriving for Lizzy’s 7:30am appointment this morning, the first order of business was to make sure her body was hydrated enough for chemo. Unfortunately, it took a lot longer than we anticipated for her body to get sufficiently hydrated, so her chemo treatments didn’t get started until late this afternoon.
Lizzy had her blood counts checked yesterday and the white blood cell count is still too low for chemo, so she did not get admitted today as planned. We will check her counts again tomorrow and if the counts are acceptable, she will get admitted on Friday.
Lori and I took Lizzy to Cincy today expecting for her to be admitted for her next 5 day admission. However, because of some blood work she had done yesterday, we had been given a heads up that her white blood cell count was too low for chemo and if the white blood cell count didn’t come up by today, she wouldn’t be admitted.