Lizzy has been admitted to Cincinnati Childrens early this morning (Saturday). She was very lethargic Friday so we were instructed to take her to our local hospital for a blood draw to check her counts. Her counts were really low, but not to the point of needing a blood transfusion. We were told to just monitor her.
I (Dennis) had already arranged to fly to Denver this weekend to be with our oldest daughter, so Lori took Lizzy home to watch her. Apparently around 2:30a this morning (Saturday) Lizzy started running a fever so Lori took her back to the local hospital. They drew blood and Lizzy’s counts had dropped even further so the decision was made to transport her to Cincy and admit her.
So, Lizzy and Lori got to ride in an ambulance all the way to Cincy! Quite the experience!!
At this point we don’t know how long she will be in the hospital. They are giving her IV fluids and antibiotics and we are assuming she will stay until her counts recover and the fever is eliminated. We don’t know yet whether or not the docs will want to do a blood transfusion.
Oh yeah, did I mention that Lori and I were in Cincy on Thursday with Liz and Treas? We met with the radiation oncologist so he could go over everything with us regarding the upcoming radiation treatments she will receive. The big takeaway from that meeting was that the potential side effects are not nearly as significant in the short term as they are in the long term. It was just another reminder that this is a life long issue we are dealing with.
I know those of you who follow this blog are faithful prayer warriors, so once again we humbly ask for your prayers for Lizzy – for blood counts to rise, for strength and for healing.