Concussions and Treatments and Flu, Oh My!!

It has been an event-filled few weeks since last we spoke.  As part of Lizzy’s treatment, we were able to enjoy a 2 week reprieve from treatments after 10 straight weeks of chemo.  Lori and I didn’t realize how draining it had been to go every week until we had this break – so we are very thankful for the break!

Before we could resume treatments this past week, we had an unexpected event that added some excitement to our boring, mundane lives!  A week ago Friday night as I was on my way home from a meeting, a guy in a white car decided he didn’t think the line of traffic waiting to turn right onto Shelbyville Road should wait any longer, and he ploughed into the back of my car.  The impact slammed by head against the head rest and pushed my car into the car in front of me.  I got out of the car a bit woozy, but thought it was probably just an adrenaline rush.  Unfortunately that wasn’t the case.  After we wrapped up all of the details with the police, Lori came and got me and took me home.  By this time, my head was pounding and things were starting to spin just a bit.

Lori really wanted me to go to the ER, but I didn’t want to go.  EMS had checked me out at the accident scene (basically felt up and down my spine) and they said it was up to me whether or not to go.  If ever given a choice, my answer is “No”.  But Lori kept insisting so I texted a doctor friend of mine and asked him if I should go get checked out.  His answer was – listen to your wife!  Rats! She’s right again!

So, we compromised and went to the Immediate Care Center.  Of course right as we walked in, a guy came in wearing a surgical mask, coughing everywhere and wanting to be seen for the flu.  We’ve already documented Lori’s germ-a-phobia, so this about sent her over the edge.  We both sat there in the waiting room, hands in our laps, trying not to breathe and trying not to touch anything!

When we were called back to see the doc, she did a quick assessment and said “you have a concussion and you need to go to the ER for a CT scan to make sure there isn’t a brain bleed”.  She made the arrangements with the hospital and sent us to the ER.

In the ER, it was similar to the ICC.  People in the waiting room hacking and coughing, and Lori and I sitting there trying not to touch anything and trying to breathe as little as possible.  After a fairly short wait, we were called back and the ER doc confirmed the diagnosis – concussion.   At this point, the dizziness really started getting severe and I had to have help getting from the hospital bed onto the CT table.  Once the CT was finished, they took me back to the ER and we waited for results.

Thankfully, the results of the CT were negative.  I’ve been asked a few times if the CT scan showed anything (I.e. do I have a brain) and I can’t answer that – the doctor didn’t confirm one way or the other.  He only said there wasn’t a bleed.   So, we went home and I spent all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday in bed because I couldn’t raise my head without severe dizziness and a pounding headache.

Lizzy was scheduled for treatment early on Tuesday morning, so I was concerned because I didn’t want Lori to go by herself.  Thankfully, God brought healing at just the right time and I woke up Tuesday feeling much better. So, it was off to Cincinnati for treatment.

The highlight of the treatment was we were able to take Treasure with us.  She had been with us in the hospital in Colorado when all of this started, but she had not been able to be a part of any of Lizzy’s treatments since we returned from Colorado.

Lizzy beamed with pride as she introduced her big sister to all of the staff we’ve come to know.  Treasure acted shy, but I think it was really good for her to meet everyone who has been taking such great care of her sister.

When it came time for the poke (which is always the most traumatic part of the visit), Treasure started reassuring Lizzy and telling her it would be ok.  We are so grateful for these 2 girls and the love they have for each other.  Lizzy’s hemoglobin count has gone up and all of her numbers are looking good – thank you for praying specifically for her hemoglobin count!

Once the visit ended, Lori and the girls had to take me to the Cincy airport because I had a business trip scheduled.  When I got to my destination that evening and called home, Lori said Colson, our 17-year old, indicated he wasn’t feeling well.  The next day, his symptoms got a lot worse and Lori arranged an e-visit for him.  Diagnosis – flu!!

My dear, sweet, poor wife.  With all of the precautions and isolation she has done to stay away from germs, and now the dreaded flu was in her own home!!  And she would have to handle it while I was out of town.  By God’s strength, she survived – and she also banished our son to his room.  At meal times, Lori would put on a surgical mask and rubber gloves, take his meal to him, then spray Lysol everywhere as she made her way back up stairs.  She also called Lizzy’s doctor, who prescribed Tamiflu for Lizzy and Lori as a preventative measure.  Thankfully, as of this writing, Colson is doing much better and no one else in the home has gotten any symptoms.  Whew! What a week.

We now get another 2 week break from treatments.  Lizzy has a total of 2 more treatments and 1 more round of scans, and if all goes according to plan, she will then get her port removed at the end of April.  Boy oh boy, we can’t wait for that day!

I was reminded today at church that if we claim to be a follower of Jesus, our job, our life, is all about trying to be more like Him.  We need to love like Jesus and go to people like Jesus did.  In short, we are to run the race of being a Christian, and run it with perseverance.  We don’t sit on the sideline and watch, we get in the game.  And when we are in the game, we run.  And we don’t stop. And we persevere.

And so that’s what we do.  Sometimes it’s hard.  Sometimes it’s exhausting.  We were never promised it would be easy.  And honestly, if it were easy, I don’t think it would be as enjoyable.  It’s through the struggles and trials and pain that I know without a shadow of a doubt that my hope and my strength comes from the Lord.  It is because of Him that we run, “for in Him we live and move and have our being”.

Thank you to all of you for your love, support and prayers.  We pray that you each feel God’s strength and purpose as you run your race.  To God be the Glory!!

7 Replies to “Concussions and Treatments and Flu, Oh My!!”

  1. Wow! So glad things are looking up. I have to admit that I couldn’t help but laugh at your description of Lori spraying Lysol as she exited Colson’s room. Andy wanted me to say hi at church today, but I didn’t get a chance, so Hello Brooks family!

  2. I’ve never even met any of you but pray for all of you. I feel like I know you though with Dennis’s descriptions. Love it!! When this is all over and it will be (Psalm 60:12) I will definitely buy your book Dennis. ❤️

  3. So, so sorry to hear about your concussion Dennis and Colson’s flu! So glad everyone is feeling better! We all need to keep running the good race ! Love to all <3 Amen and amen!

  4. We are so thankful that you and Colson are on the mend. Thank you for your updates. We continue to pray for you all!

  5. Praying for you guys! 🙏 Thankful the treatments are almost over & hopefully you can “begin” to see the light at the end of the tunnel. You all have been through so much. I pray that you will have a time of sweet rest & renewal, coming your way soon! ❤️ Please let us know if we can do anything. And I do mean anything. Don’t be afraid to ask!

  6. Lori, I’m the same way with the Lysol! 😄
    Glad Lizzie’s treatments are about over. You will be a comfort to so many people in the future because of the trial you have been through. I hope the guys in the family are all better and that you are having a good week. Deb

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *